Fuel Saving Tips

tomo28
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Well its all pretty common sense stuff really. But here is the basic set of tips to keep in mind. Now note some of this make a big difference and others not alot.

Check Tyre Pressure (upto 3% difference)
Get rid of clutter out the car to reduce weight  (upto 2% Difference)
Turn of the aircon (upto 8% difference)
Dont run the car on a full tank (upto 1% difference)

Accelarate gradually
Always keep in the correct gear
Slow down naturally without the breaks where safe to do so
Turn of the car if your going to be stationary for more than 30 seconds

Get yourself a good petrol price !!

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

Steve Somers
how does slowing down without brakes (spelling) save fuel

- coasting and using brakes- without engine - should save

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

Pesty
I log and track my fuel economy at www.pitstoplog.com
People might find this a useful site.

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

Alan
Slowing down without brakes needs the driver to slow down for longer, which saves fuel.  If he has to use the brakes it might mean that fuel has already been wasted.

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

frenomer
I log and track my fuel economy at www.syntekglobal.com
People might find this a useful site.

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

frenomer
i ve never try this but i will put it to a try... in initially i ve been using XFT ... which is helping...
Jez

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

Jez
In vehicles built after the mid 1990's when you take your foot off the accelerator peddle the fuel is cut off to the engine. So this means as you approach a round about come off the fuel earlier and coast in gear up to the round about the brake if you have to or just carry on you will use a lot less over time doing this. I have a 7 seater 1.9 diesel Renault scinic (130 bhp) and keep 40psi in the tyres and drive like this and get 55 MPG around town and 84 MPG out of town. If you do it right you don't get in the way of people aswell  this is driving at speed limits too. Try it.

Re: Fuel Saving Tips

Mark Few
I bought some Michelin energy saver tyres for my Toyota Corrola 1.6 petrol. I have now done about 30,000 miles and it has improve my MPG buy 5-10 miles per tank. They are about ready to be replaced now though.

For info on car specs see http://www.motormotormotor.com/spec